Thursday, September 10, 2009

We Have Achieved Trailer (Finally)!

A lot's been going on lately but the best thing is that I was able to purchase a used 2004 Ford F-250 Diesel Pickup Truck for about $17,000 and while the fuel consumption is not the best, I can now tow trailers (and one day larger stock trailers with a gooseneck hitch) and that means Max and I can go on the road anytime we want. For now, I'll have to borrow the trailer but that's OK. After buying the truck, I had to drop an additional $680 having a new heavy duty trailer hitch installed along with the ball, slider et al. and a trailer brake controller. So while it was a lot of money, I'm now pretty much good to go for anything up to about 10000 pounds or so. Basically I bought more than what I'll immediately need but I don't want to have to deal with this in the future.

Yesterday, I was able to start practicing on my trailer driving and especially backing up- it's not easy as it looks! Here's some pictures of the experience:

Truck hooked up to the trailer. Not the prettiest trailer but it will do for now.


Max tied up to the trailer. He's also learning to wear his shipping boots.

Yeah, and now I can do it for myself! It's been a long time coming! :-)

6 comments:

Mel said...

I feel the most free when it's me, my horse and my truck, hooked up to my trailer. No better feeling. Can do anything, go anywhere.

Look forward to reading about your adventures.

Adam Lid said...

Thanks! I'm kind of sneaking up on this a bit- don't want to rush things but one of my ultimate goals is to hit one of the Cavalry competitions. The competition will probably be steep and I have no expectations but it would be nice to be able to get "out there". :-)

Funder said...

I know I'm woefully late on this, but CONGRATULATIONS! I'm super jealous, but my trailer will come one day. Learning to tow with a really ratty old trailer is the best; the dents blend in after you jackknife it. I have a lovely dent in my bumper from my own learning experience.

Adam Lid said...

I think the scariest "learning experience" was driving up north to Salinas with a 4-horse stock trailer in a driving rain storm with no trailer brakes. Talk about pucker factor!

Funder said...

Ugh! I've never towed in the rain; it sounds horrible. I did learn how to back a trailer full of hay through a J-shaped obstacle course of trees, barn, and a dead tractor. I got pretty good at it, doing it every two weeks. I am a pro trailer-backer-upper!

Adam Lid said...

Definately was NOT fun! :-) Most of my trailer experience was learned eons ago when I was in the Army. I had to refresh my knowledge by setting up rubber cones and practicing...it was a good thing that I did. :-)