Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Now I'm a Teacher's Assistant

For the past year, I've been taking equine classes at Pierce College and volunteering my time for some of their programs, all in an attempt to soak up as much "horse knowledge" as possible. As part of this ongoing effort, I decided to become a Teacher's Assistant (TA) for a basic riding class taught by the instructor whose basic riding class I took last semester.

I decided to do this not because I plan on becoming a riding instructor (although I wouldn't necessarily rule it out) but in order to observe the instructional process of teaching riding. It's one thing to be participating, it's another to be acting as an observer and helping out where need be.

Tonight was our first meeting so we pretty much just went over policies, proceedures, basic admin stuff, etc. The Pierce horse herd consists of about 18 horses although as a general rule, the instructors prefer no more than 15 students because of safety issues and span of control. Also, the horses actually belong to a packing outfit and they work in the Sierras from May through September taking riders on pack trips. What this means for the class is that we'll lose the horses in May so hopefully the weather or holidays won't cause us to lose too many instructional days, especially since we only meet weekly.

What's also interesting is that the Basic Riding Class is required of all students, no matter what their riding ability/experience is (although this isn't explicitly stated in the catalog). While some my disagree with this policy, it's more intended as a means of teaching students the protocol for how horses are handled at Pierce (it's a bit different than what I was taught to do so I a hard time keeping it straight sometimes).

Anyway, it should be interesting and I actually earn 1 unit of credit (yay!).

No comments: