Monday, February 19, 2007

Crazy Weather (or My Horse is Being a Pain in the Ass)

Wow!

From warm Santa Ana winds that were blowing early Saturday and now today, it's raining and considerably cooler- can the weather get much more weird? Saturday was worthless for riding- Max was incredibly pokey and really didn't want to do anything (I suppose the warm weather combined with his winter coat didn't help any!).

I mostly wound up doing arena work and working him at a trot alongside his "girlfriend" Chenault (A 9-year old Thoroughbred mare who can be a handful). Normally we go out on the trail together but my friend was having problems with Chenault so we opted to do arena and track work. We did about four laps of continuous trotting and then rand some patterns in the arena- Max got to "chase" his girlfriend (and never catch her or overshoot her for some odd reason...:-)). Also, because of the winds, all the horses were acting edgy and otherwise carrying on like idiots. I decided that it was day for some close-in arena work. However, it was time to get Max's shoes re-done and a hoof trim and he was good for that- stayed nice and still for the farrier with no issues.

Sunday was a tad better although we had to have a few "discussions" on why it's a good idea to do as I say- Max was on a different program. However, he cleaned up his act for our lesson and was the picture of the perfectly cooperative horse.

Monday...we'll I'm giving the boy the day off. I'm sore from the past two days and it's wet and rainy. Just not fun riding weather. Besides, I have stuff to catch up on here at the house. I wish Max could run a vaccum cleaner or scrub dishes! Now that would be a sight! :-)

No comments: