Thursday, February 1, 2007

Riding at Night or Exercising Your Horse When You Have a Day Job

If you want to get the most out of your horse, you have to exercise it on a regular basis. In my case, my horse Max is a grade (i.e., without papers) Quarterhorse and I've been working hard for the past year and a half training and conditioning him. Unfortunately, like most people, I work a steady day job so by the time I get out of work, it's usually dark (at least until Daylight Savings Time and the Summer)...which makes riding interesting.

Fortunately, there's some lighting and the ambient light from the surrounding area make it easier but it's still very disconcerting cantering along when you really can't seen the ground. Lucky the horse has better eyesight! The recent rains have also made things a real pain in the rear and while I pride myself in being able to saddle up and ride in the worst of condiions, there are limits...I ain't that hardcore (or crazy like I was when I was younger).

For me, riding is a great stress relief from work and I get antsy if I haven't ridden in a couple of days. The best part is getting Max warmed up and then kicking him into a canter- it's warp 9 time! Where I board my horse, there's a quarter-mile track I can use so I'm pretty lucky. More later...

No comments: