Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And Now It's Blowing

Well, today wasn't so hot but was it blowing! Now the Santa Ana winds seemed to have moved in something fierce. When I got out to the stables at about 6:30 tonight, the wind was blowing strong and there were large dust clouds about- it looked like something out of the Depression Era dustbowl. It was definately not riding weather so I turned Max out in the arena and later walked him around a bit.

Just for the heck of it, I walked Max past the hay storage area which has several large tarps that were blowing in the wind. Max pretty much ignored it until an especially strong gust of wind came and he definately was ready to run. Lucky he first looked at me, trying to decide what he was going to do. I actually managed to calm him down and then we walked away.

Of course, if he'd wanted to run there would have been nothing I could have done to stop him but he decided that if I wasn't bothered by it, he wouldn't be. Or maybe I was lucky! Max earned his bucket that night.

No comments: