Sunday, March 1, 2009

More Warm and Dry

Like yesterday, today was pretty warm with temperatures going into the 80s. Perfect riding weather...except for the fact that Max still has his winter coat.

Today I did my ususal weekly lesson and focused intensively on canter-halts as well as other transitions. Also, I worked on my lead transitions while doing serpentines at the canter. Previously, changing leads at the trot (we're not to flying lead changes quite yet) has always been a bit rough and I've never felt that I was doing it right. Well, I'm right about that- I wasn't doing them right.

As things turned out, I have a tendency to lean forward when trying to transition into the canter that's actually making it more difficult for Max to do it, by placing too much weight on the front end. The key, as I learned, is to keep in the vertical, or slightly behind the veertical, and keep one's hands positioned in a normal position- give some rein so the horse can move but don't move your hands forward. The horse should be able to move into the canter with ease with the normal cue. Your body needs to remain centered in the seat.

It needs to look and be effortless- your legs should be doing all the work by delivering the correct cue. It also helps if you've been working with your horse and are able to cue them into the correct right or left lead (it's taken years for me to perfect this).

Once I was doing this, it was a joy to ride. What's also neat is going into the canter from a halt. You shouldn't have to move any part of your body, except for the legs when they cue. Essentially, you need to help your horse get into the correct lead by not putting extra weight on the front, which is what people tend to do when going into a canter.

We definately have some new homework to do!

When I was done with my lesson, I decided to do something that wasn't so physical so we practiced dragging a small log around the arena and working around the rattling aluminum cans. Basically, this is a continuation of the trail trial practice that I was doing last weekend. My goal is keep working on these, and other obstacles to get Max used to them by sheer repetition. Max did very well and it was a good way to cool-down from practice.

I ended by giving Max a nice cool bath to wash away all the accumulated dirt and cool him down. Naturally, he then rolled and got himself all muddy again. Go figure...

4 comments:

Mel said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Are you going to the western cavarly games the beginning of June? I'm debating. I went to Wyoming for the nationals last year, had a lot of fun and plan to go again.

Adam Lid said...

Are you talking about the West Coast Cavalry competition in Wickenburg? I believe it's scheduled for April 25-26 (but it might have changed).

I'm going to try and make it but it's just going to me helping out on some living history displays. Unfortunately, I don't have a truck and trailer and I couldnt' convince anyone out this way to go. Also, I would have a lot more prep work to do with Max. Looking at the course, I could do the military horsemanship part but swords and pistols aren't going to be possible (gunfire training is bit difficult since I can't do it where I board).

I'm hoping to make it out one day with my boy...a few years ago I attended a couple of the "School of the Horsesoldier" classes up at Camp Warhorse. It was fun even though I had to borrow a mount and promptly got dumped. :-)

Mel said...

Reposting here in case you don't go back to my blog to check comments: Yes, I know Jeff Wall. In fact he was originally the person that convinced me to read the book "War Horse" that spawned this post. They did a Major Howze ride at nationals this year. I must admit I was in bed. He's a awesome horseman. He was the first one to encourage me to try endurance riding.

BTW......I missed that year that we did the night ride at warhorse, but made the rest of the years. Did you make any of the other events? You probably met me, I'm the daughter of one of the coordinator's - Wes Faubel. I'm blonde and kind of (Ok - really) short.

What a small world!


There's a competition the beginining of June (I'm almost positive). There's ad for it in CHAS's newletter this month. Go to www.warhorse.org and click on this month's newsletter.

I would love to compete, but I've realized that endurance riding is a huge commitment, and although I'll do the school of the horse soldier stuff and play days with my Dad and friends, getting to the level where I can compete probably won't be possible right now. It's a lot of fun being a spectaitor, especially if you know some of the people competeing. I had a lot of fun in Wyoming.

The very first year that CHAS held the first school of the horse soldier, so many people came off during the bareback portion I joked that it looked like we were popping popcorn....LOL. (I know, not really funny. What WAS funny was watching my dad trying to mount bareback and ending up on the other side in the mud :) We still all laugh about that).

Mel said...

Check out page 19 of the cannons mouth (CHAS newsletter - I may have mistyped the web address - it's www.warhorse.org)

It's a western states competition, first week of June, in Virgina City. I'm not sure who in our group is competing, but there is several people who are going to watch.