Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekends... Back to the Doc

This last weekend was relatively uneventful from a horse perspective and I pretty much stayed close to home. On Saturday, Max and I worked on our drill as part of the Warhorse group although due to scheduling mistakes (not on our part), we weren't able to work as much as I would have liked.

Although there was a Trail Trial competition on Sunday, I opted not to go (I really didn't have fun the one time that I did it) and instead decided to check out the Doc Larsen Trail- it's been awhile since I've been up that way.

I was smart and got to the stables early to beat the heat (it got up into the 90s that day)- Max and I were out the gate by 8:15 and we were working up into a nice trot. I decided that I would try and trot Max as much as possible in an effort to build up his stamina and by the time we got to the Oaks, he was moving nicely with a good seat.

I then headed up a dirt road and rode up to the Shep Pens and then picked up the fire road and eventually picked up the Doc Larsen Trail. It appears that there's been some serious brush clearance going on and the Doc was a joy to ride. Not only did they clear the trail or brush and overhanging tree branches, but they also cut back the brush to eliminate most of the blind corners so we were able to trot in confidence that we wouldn't be trotting up on someone/something unknowingly.

The cleared portion went for about a third of the way up and then reverted to a much more overgrown state. At this point I decided to walk (plus give Max a change to blow out) and we pretty much did this up until the bathtub. We hit the bathtub by about 9:30 and I then gave Max a chance to drink and to let his pulse recover. When I initially pulsed him, it was at 72 BPM but after 10 minutes, it had gone down to about 46 BPM or so. Not too bad I think.

After about 15 minutes, I mounted up again and headed up towards the fire road. I then decided to simply follow the fire road and descent on the Foothill Boulevard side of the mountains and wind up at Jay-Bar Ranch. The ride was long but I was able to trot in places- primarily on the flat/uphill portions.

While making our way along the fire roads, we came accross what must have been at least a three-foot Rattlesnake lying right accross the road (Hell, the snake was almost as wide as the road was!). I saw it pretty far off and we stopped to see what it would do- eventually it crossed the road and disappeared into the bushes on the side. We then quickly rode past. Wheew!!

After descending on the fire road and winding up at J-Bar, we crossed Foothill Boulevard (very carefully) and then made our way home along a wide trail that follows the 210 Freeway. Eventually I made a turn on Orcas Avenue and headed back to the stable.

All in all, it was about a 3 1/2 hour ride and we both got a good workout. Max seems to be very fit and had no issues. Strangely enough, we only encountered one other person and that was another rider- the area was pretty deserted for a Sunday. Then again, most people are not morning people and up to about 11 or so, you pretty much have the trails to yourself most of the time.

Not bad for a solo ride.

No comments: