Thursday, September 2, 2010

Morro Bay 2010, Part I

This year's trip to Morro Bay was interesting, and for the most part, one of the better trips I've had. In contrast to previous years, this year Max and I rode very little on the beach and tended to stay in the mountains. The reason for this? I failed to allow for Max's arthritis acting up due to the cooler temperatures- we went from nearly 100 degrees in the San Fernando Valley to the low 70s during the day/high 50s at night at Montana de Oro. This in turn made Max a bit stiff and I was concerned that a lot of walking/trotting/cantering on the sand would have an adverse effect (not to mention the ever-present possibilty of bowed tendons or any number of hoof and leg issues.

I arrived with Max about 2 PM on Thursday, August 19 and in contrast to the Santa Ynez Valley and Santa Barbara, it was foggy and overcast. I quickly settled Max in and got myself situation in the back of the horse trailer as I usually do, after spending time cleaning it up.

One thing I've noticed from all the times going up to Montana de Oro is that often, Max doesn't like to be alone or to go out alone and this time was no exception. When I went to saddle him up to go on a small ride, he was shaking in the hindquarters and nervious to the point whe it was difficult, if not impossible to saddle him. Fortunately, I had brought both my English saddle and Tucker Trail saddle (I bought it earlier in July- more on that later) and with all the rigging, it's nearly impossible to saddle Max with the Tucker when he's moving around. So I managed to get the English saddle on and soon we went for a small ride.

While it wasn't the most fun ride, I managed to get some work out of him and he started to relax a little. After following a coastal trail for about 30 minutes, I turned back and naturally his step picked up a bit. After I was done riding, I made sure max was blanketed and I mixed him up his usual A&M and Omolene bucket.

More to follow....:-)


Group shot- Morro Rock is in the background.


Max and I at the end of the canyon at the end of the east Boundary Trail. The view was fantastic that day. :-)

No comments: