Friday, September 9, 2011

Chasing Coyotes

Last evening I worked Max a bit- it was nice to get out when it's relatively cool and it's almost a full moon so there was plenty of light. As we were doing our usual routine, I spied a big coyote (well, bigger than the usual scrawny specimens that are live around the stables) on the track.

Naturally, I decided it was the perfect opportunity for Max and I to perfect our cavalry technique so I quickly kicked him up into a canter and the chase was on...of course the heaviest weapon I had at the moment was a dressage whip but I figured it would answer well enough for saber purposes.

The coyote took one look at us and took off through some underbrush next to the track. Quickly judging the ground to be safe enough, we lept off the track and plowed through the underbrush for a bit until we'd pinned the coyote in an area with stacks of lumber. We weren't able to close in because of all the lumber on the ground but he was definitely cut off from the wash, which is the coyotes' major access point onto the property.

The coyote then made a break for it and I quickly spurred Max to cut him off- unfortunately, the layout of the lumber required a long detour and Max isn't the fastest horse so the coyote was able to make a beeline for the wash. We still chased him for a bit just to hammer the lesson home to Mr. Coyote that it wasn't healthy to come up to the stables. :-)

Just to clarify, there was no chance that we would have actually come into contact with the coyote but I do like to use these opportunities to work Max and increase the rider/horse bond. In a way I suppose I got a little taste of fox hunting, something I wouldn't mind trying at some point although it makes me a bit nervous. I don't think Max would be an ideal fox hunter candidate but it's fun to dream a little. :-)

That definitely got the blood pumping for both of us and after wards, we walked some laps around the track to cool down. Max definitely earned his bucket. :-)

1 comment:

Funder said...

Hahaha, that totally sounds like fun. Max, the noncompetitive cowpony! I love coyotes when they're where they're supposed to be - open spaces, away from my snack-sized critters.