Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hitting the Trail...

Lately, my wife has been taking up riding again so she's been riding Max and I've been riding anything else I can find in the barn... :-) I've been doing a lot of riding with Thor, a 4-year old Fjord Pony and it's been interesting,to say the least. Thor stands about 14-3 hands and it built like a linebacker so he definitely can support me. Thor tends to move at a leisurely pace, which sometimes annoys Max and he's definitely got mountain goat in him, the way he picks his way through rock areas and handles mountain trails. Thor is pretty steady for a 4-year old and there's very little that seems to bother him (he even rides at night with no issue) although he is a bit herd-bound in not wanting to be separated from Max.

This weekend, on both Saturday and Sunday, my wife and I rode a leisurely loop up to the sheep pens and back, about a 4-mile ride round trip. My wife got in some good saddle time with Max and I was able to get the "Fjord experience" riding. :-) Overall, they're very sturdy and mild-mannered horses (although Thor can be stubborn pony when he wants to be). I only wish that he was a bit more energetic.

It was definitely excellent riding weather- not too hot and it was a welcome relief to what we've been getting in the past few weeks. More later! :-)

No comments: