Monday, November 19, 2007

Back from the Weekend (and I'm Sore!)

I decided to take last Friday off so I'd have a three-day weekend so naturally I did what I always do when I have time off and the weather is nice- hit the trail and ride!

This was the first weekend I've really been able to ride Max for a long period of time out on the trail since he's healed from the saddle sores (from my trip to Bear Valley). Friday started with a somewhat easy, but long (three hours or so) ride that started by riding up into the mountains to the cattlepen/electric lines and then doubling back. Just when Max thought the ride was over, I went past the stables and continued on down the wash (he was a little peeved about it but got over it fast).

We then followed my usual route accross the river and towards the east edge of Hanson Dam. Next, I rode down to the tunnel crossing Wentworth Avenue and debated going through it and on to the Mustang Market for a break but decided against it (no particular reason, Max has been through the tunnel and could have handled it).

We then rode back towards the Orcas Arena, re-crossing the river and riding under a canopy of trees. It was really nice and cool there. I finally arrived at the arena and we proceeded to do some work in the arena, basic stuff to include cantering and some side-passing.

After that, we made our way some at a leisurely pace. Max was lazy and really didn't want to work too hard but after awhile, he got into the spirit of it.

Saturday was pretty much more of the same only this time we rode around the lake in the middle of the Hanson Dam Basin and then made our way up the rim of the basin towards the ponds. This time, I was with a friend and so Max was a bit more animated since he had a trail buddy.

Interestingly enough, we went my the spot on the trail where Max had problems during the ETI Trail Trials last August but he gave no hint of difficulty (probably because he was moving and he knew he would be heading home soon). We all wound up doing arena work again at the Orcas Arena, this time I practiced my two-point stance at the trot and canter. Wheew! Talk about sore legs!

Sunday started with my weekly lesson and we worked on more two-point stance technique as well as working on balance. More stretching and trying to line up my hips so I'm balanced in the seat. Hmm, could it be that the reason Max turns so smoothly is that I'm balanced correctly...

Overall, a great weekend and Max and I definately got in some saddle time. Naturally Max also enjoyed all the A&M and Omolene he got afterwards.

I hope the weather stays nice for Thanksgiving!

No comments: