Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Omega Man



With the impending re-make of I Am Legend with Will Smith, I thought I'd put of an image of the original movie poster for The Omega Man which was released in 1971 and starred Charlton Heston. It's a bit campy but it was a bit radical for the time, featuring an interracial love scene (Hey, when you're the last man on Earth you can't bee too choosy!).

I Am Legend is based on a novel that was originally written by Richard Matheson in 1954 and was made into a movie The Last Man on Earth in 1964 and starred Vincent Price. The movie was made in Italy and is pretty cheesy. The Omega Man pretty much departed from the book and, well it stands alone. It's kind of interesting in an early 1970s kind of way. Below is a recent re-release of the book:


I have to admit that as a kid, I absolutely dug The Omega Man! My parents didn't want me to see it but I managed to sneak in with a buddy of mine anyway. The whole idea of being able to have everything you want, including massive firepower, and then being able to waste the baddies was just way TOO cool. It was a real disappointment when Charlton Heston (aka the character Col. Robert Neville) gets killed in the end. I also dug the character "Dutch"(played by Paul Koslo) who sported a leather motorcycle jacket with an upraised middle finger in a US flag motif (no doubt based on a period peace sign).

No comments: