Monday, February 11, 2008

It's Been Awhile...

I have to admit that it's been over a month since I've updated my blog but there's been all sorts of stuff going on in my life (not to mention my monitor dying on me) so things have gotten a tad backed up.

Anyway, this past weekend I helped to organize a WWI reenactment event- the first in close to four years at a place called Ozena Valley Ranch (it's way out in the boonies). Naturally with these sorts of things, it took a lot of work and especially in preparing the site. We hired a backhoe to come in and do the large-scale excavation but there was still all the work of finishing off the trenches and filling sadbags. It also didn't help that the site is at an elevation of roughly 4,000 feet so I was stopping often to catch my wind and drink water. I'm really creaking today!

Although there had been problems with snow storms and roads put out of commission the week before, the weather this last weekend was excellent- clear and sunny. During the day, temperatures were in the 80s but at night they dropped to the low 40s- it was COLD! Fortunately, I came prepared and brought extra blankets and the like. As usual, even though I brought a camera, I failed to get any pictures so I'll have to once again depend on the kindness of others- I'll put some up here once I get them.

We wound up finishing a bit early (many of the membership wound up leaving Saturday night) so I actually left at about 11 AM. I decided that the day was too beautiful to not see Max so I stopped off at the stables on the way home. Max was definately happy to see me but not when it looked like he was going to have to work. Of course I can understand this since he still has his winter coat and it was 80 degrees out.

We went for a ride around following out normal route that ultimately put us at the Orcas Arena. I worked him through the walk/trot/canter and by the time we were done, Max had worked up a little bit of a sweat. After returning to the stables, I decided to give him a bath (the first in a long time) and by the time he got his bucket, he was a very happy horse. I hope the weather holds up for next weekend.

No comments: