Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Time for a Tune-Up

Since I don't have class tonight, I decided that I needed to do some more work with Max, this time with the lance. I've worked with Max before with the lance but it's been awhile so I wanted to tune him up and see if there were any issues.

I started on the ground in the arena, familiarizing Max with the lance by rubbing him all over with it and tapping him in various body parts. So far, no issues.

I then mounted up and began to do some basic figures in the arena and once again, no issues. I then decided to go outside to the larger drivine dressage area and do some more work. By know, you're probably asking "so what?" Well, besides horses being afraid of sharp pointy sticks, it's dark so I wanted to see how that would go. Also, it's either that or I don't get the practice in.

Working in my normal training area, I did all the basic manuevers I normally practice with only this time, I had the lance. Overall, things worked out fine and any errors made were operator error. Max certainly didn't seem to mind charging with the lance at his side or anything so I pretty much pronounced it a success. If I'm going to do this in a reenactment environment, I might as well make sure he's OK with it BEFORE I introduce the elements of other horses, people yelling and screaming and running around, gunfire, etc.

Wheew! What a workout.

No comments: