Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bits! Bits! And...More Bits!

For the past several months I have been taking a number of equine classes at Pierce College and one of them has been Beginning Horse Training. Now, I have no intention of becoming a trainer nor do I have the experience (no Pat Pirelli here!) but it's been a real eye-opener in terms of all the equipment, methods et al. In fact, it's a bit overwhelming (pardon the pun :-)).

Last week we went into bits in great detail and the instructor showed us a variety of bits of varous types and configurations. I really havn't given much thought to bits except to know that I have been using a snaffle bit on Max.

Well, I've really have had to do a re-think on this. Basically, it seems that bits break down into two basic categories: direct rpessure and leverage. Within each, there are a variety of mouthpiece configuations and work with varying degrees of severity.

So how does this all tie into Max?

Well, with the sorts of riding I've been doing lately, it's become apparent that a curb bit would be more useful in helping Max collect up better and hold a better frame. Also. I'd like to eventually train up to using the double bridal.

Naturally, I'm going to have to approach this in a systematic manner. Early on, I attempted to used a curb bit on Max (because I didn't know any better) but my hands were too rough and Max made it very clear that he wasn't happy about it. I think that this time, it will be different but it's going to be a gradual process.

Perhaps I'll start with a Kimberwicke bit, which is sort of a hybrid where I can use direct pressure or leverage, depending on where the reins are set.

I'm going to have to do some more study on this but I think it's time to move forward in this area.

Ugh! There's a lot to consider.

2 comments:

Christopher Zimmerman said...

Choosing the right bit is important. For dressage and jumping I recommend a full-face snaffle. If you're doing any kind of riding that limits you to the use of one hand, I recommend a shank-snaffle or curb bit. I prefer low-port curb bits as they are less harsh than the high-port bits.

Adam Lid said...

I agree- I'm heading in that direction, much as I've resisted for the past few years after my disastrous first experience. I can get away with a lot in the snaffle bit but with the type of riding I've been doing more of in the past couple of years, some form of curb bit appears to be in order.