Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Planning for 2010 - Max the Civil War Horse?

While for some time I've considered returning to Civil War reenacting (I did it for over 10 years as an infantryman), it would be as a cavalryman or mounted staff officer (or something else on horseback) and that, as all you horse people know, presents all sorts of issues.

For the past year, I've been slowly working Max up, desensitizing him to gunfire, taking him to events, doing parades, and anything else I can think of. With the exception of parades, it's been pretty successful so far although we're still a ways off from where we want to be (especially in terms of shooting off of him).

I plan on taking Max to an introductory mounted shooting clinic in the Spring that's put on by the California Desperados (I might even take up mounted shooting!)and taking him so some events- ones that weren't too massive and which would provide the right sort of environment (not too crowded, not too many guns, room to ride off if there's an issue, etc.). One of the big issues was my inability to haul Max places- fortunately, this has for the most part been resolved (I still have to borrow a trailer).

With all of that, recently a friend of mine decided that he wanted to do Civil War cavalry and he put me in touch with a unit, the 7th Ohio Cavalry . The offer a number of training weekends with the first one scheduled for January 15-17, 2010. The training program appears to be just what Max would need and they're based out of a ranch located in Acton; it's not too far away from where I board so hauling Max there wouldn't be an issue.

This is a very interesting development and while Civil War isn't my most favorite period, I can get past that if it allows me to work with Max and have a good time. Naturally, we're going to have to work on gettnig Max used to the gunfire and shooting off his back. Also, there's the whole sword combat thing- although judging from how he did at Anza last May, this might not be such an issue. Finally, since a lot of this work is in formation, we'll need to work on this- he's normally pretty good but with strange horses, it could be challenging (especially the backing up- but this isn't a parade).

The other issue is that I'm going to have to acquire some new/different uniforms and equipment and look at getting a new 1859 McClellan since the one I have now doesn't fit. I'll bring the saddle to the training weekend and maybe I can sell it and use the money towards a new one. One can hope! :-)

Anyway, I'm a bit nervious but this is what we've working towards for the past five years and it's time to get going.

2 comments:

Christopher Zimmerman said...

One way to get some good Civil War training in on horseback is at the annual Civil War of the Southwest event at Picacho Peak, Arizona. They are having their next one in March. http://azstateparks.com/parks/pipe/events.html

Adam Lid said...

Interesting- I may work this in with going to the West Coast Cavalry competition that's supposed to be happening around March 1 in Wickenburg. It would be an interesting road trip. :-)