Sunday, January 3, 2010

Max the Collecting Horse & Other Fun Stuff

After the run-up for the holidays and dealing with finals, I've finally been able to turn my attention to working with Max again on collection and the like.

Lately, my lessons have been progressing to the point where we've been working on more advanced dressage movements and in particular, collection. While I am no dressage guru or expert, I've come to realize the collection is a whole new ballgame and it is not easy to do. Moreover, the horse has to be in condition to do it and that takes time to develop. The best analogy I've heard is that you are putting the horse through a weight training program- they have to be able to carry themselves AND you while shifting most of the weight to the hindquarters. Not easy!

We've been working on this for roughly two months and the progress has been amazing, especially in doing the collected trot and canter. Once I realized that I can signal half-halts by simply tightening and releasing my grip on the reins while at the same time using my breathing and legs, it went a long way towards signaling Max to reduce his stride while at the same time tansferring his energy. It's hard to describe except to say that you really feel like the horse has the energy to instantly launch into a fast trot or canter.

The collected canter has been especially tough and it seemed that he wouldn't slow down sufficiently and transfer energy to the rear. However, after working on my seat and half-halts, it's become a lot easier. At first, the motion felt very choppy- like a machine shaking itself apart but now it's more of a smooth vigorous up-and-down motion. What's also amazing is that Max is starting to naturally bend his haed and neck in the correct position with little urging (and certainly not by cranking the bit- not happening, especially with a snaffle bit!).

One important element in all of this is that moving slowly doesn't equal collection. Also, attempting to use the bit to "crank" the horse's head down is also useless and completely 180 degrees from what collection is all about. The key is that you are training the horse shift his weight to teh hindquarters and you have to be an active part of the process- this is something that just doesn't "happen".

The whole thing is kind of mind-blowing, especially since I'm no expert or rider with decades of experience like most riders who do this and my horse is by no means the "dressage horse". Sure, we're probably never going to compete or anything, but in my mind, it's path to understanding the nature of the riding experience plus understanding the horse. I'm sure there are other paths to this (no doubt the Western riders out there think that this is all BS) but for me, this is the way.

Finally, all of this has also helped out on the trail- there are situations where you want to be able to direct and re-direct the horse's energy (and at the same time, his mind).

Click here for an interesting explaination of collection, and it describes it far better than I can.

Finally, below is a good illustration of what happens to the horse when it collects (top picture) versus the normal posture (bottom picture).

2 comments:

Mel said...

I love your description of collection. I agree that it's absolutely mind blowing. :) The coolest thing is actually FEELILNG their shoulder bladese and wither come UP and the weight is shifted.

Adam Lid said...

Oh yeah! For me, the part I really notice is his shoulders, especially when do a roll-back and he seems to launch in an arc. When I get everything lines up right (i.e., my posture, his energy, etc.), it feels like a rocket taking off.

For the first time, I feel like I'm really communicating with him- not always perfectly- but it seems to work.

What's even more amazing was when I was practicing canters with my drill team group, he kept trying to collect (to include tucking his head in), even though at that point I was asking for an extended canter. I guess he took the lesson to heart! :-)