Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On the Trail - Last Fall

OK, some more catching up... :-)

Last Fall, I hit the local trails with some friends of mine. Here's a few of the regular places that I ride:

I call this the "Jungle Trail"- this actually runs from the Haul Road by the Hansen Dam Equestrian Center to another major trail that leads towards Shadow Hills. The significant thing is that it crosses one of the major watercourses leading away from Big Tujunga. It can get really deep and fast during the rains.


Taking a break on the trail...Max and some of his friends enjoy some fresh green grass.

The river crossing. The water level was relatively low and easy to cross when this picture was taken.


Another view.





3 comments:

jme said...

what a gorgeous place to ride. reminds me of where i used to hack out in scotland or when i was a kid on long island and we'd hack our horses down to the beach. not too many great trails like that here around our new farm, but i may just have to go in search of them! to me that's the highlight of my time spent with horses, and i miss riding out like that. you're very lucky!

Adam Lid said...

Did you ride anywhere near Montauk Point? I was looking at some pictures online one day and it looks like you can ride your horse on the beach around there. I'd love to try it out someday. :-)

We're blessed with a lot of pretty decent trails that are on Government land so we don't have to fear some crazy developer doing something...BUT you still have to be vigilent. :-)

Trail riding is a great relief for me, especially when I'm feeling lazy and not in the mood to do anything more exacting with my horse. :-)

jme said...

i've been to montauk point, but never had a chance to ride there. sounds like it would be fun! i boarded my horses and worked at a farm on the north shore and it was just a short hack to the beach and swimming the horses in the sound :-)