Saturday, January 22, 2011

Really Back in the Saddle _ Saturday

This past weekend was a good riding weekend. With the weather warming up considerably in the past few weeks (got to love California!), Max's leg problems appear to have mostly resolved and I've been gradually working him (as well as myself) up to his previous fitness levels. I didn't ride Max for part of November and most of December due to some leg issues (mostly arthritis, a crappy shoeing job and a stone bruise) so now we're getting back into the swing of things.

Saturday saw us participating in drill team practice with the Warhorse Militaria Heritage Foundation. This is the first time since switching to the Pelham bit that I have ridden him so I wanted to see how things would go- the curb bit is a whole new thing for both Max and I, so it was going to be interesting how it would work while having to deal with formations and other horses. I need not have worried...:-)

Max quickly fell back into his old routine and he renewed his acquataince with the other horses. They all get along for the most part so there were few issues in that department. The one thing that struck me is that Max was a lot more crisp on the turns, even with two-handed reining (actually I'm using double reins which makes things even more "busy"). Sometimes I was bit too crisp so I have to think more about moderating my rein effects so that I get more gradual turning action rather than abrupt cornering.

We worked first at the walk and then eventually trainsitioned into the trot. As a finale, we also cantered in line. Max, as usual, was eager to canter and would get so excited that he would move leap around some (sort of a ya hoo thing)- I'm used to this and quickly kicked him forward. When we repeated the exerciese, he settled down so the departure was more smooth. I had Max positioned more towards the inside because of his relative slowness and he did just fine, keeping up with the horses around him and overall having a good time. The nice thing is that when we would reach the ends of the arena, I was able to smoothly and quickly put Max into a collected canter with just a squeeze or two on the reins- so basically we were cantering at a slower pace wile the outside horses were moving at a full canter/gallop. Max seems to do better on a more inside position so hey, go with what works!

Afterwards, we all went on a long trail ride, crossing Wentworth and winding up at a small market where we stopped to buy drinks and take a break. There was a lot of green grass so Max munched contentedly while we drank gatorade. You couldn't ask for better weather.

Coming back, Max was a little full of himself so I have to work him a little bit and we had a "discussion" as to why I make the decisions. Since he raelly hasn't been out on the trail a lot, I wasn't too worried about it. Overall, it was a productive day and Max was rewarded with his usual bucket. :-)

2 comments:

jme said...

i'm jealous of your good weather and getting back to riding! it's been so cold here (-14 this morning!) that i've decided the horses and i are officially off the hook on working until temps get above freezing!

nice to hear you had such a good, productive ride, even after some time off. horses always amaze me with how well they pick up where they left off (for the most part :-)

Adam Lid said...

-14...ugh! I haven't experienced those sorts of temperatures since I was in the Army (a long, long time ago). :-) The way my horse's arthritis has been, he wouldn't do well in cold weather- no Montana pack horse for him! :-)

It is amazing how much they remember and pick up on. :-)