Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Back from Columbus - Part 2

OK, it's been three weeks or so since we returned from Columbus, New Mexico and you're probably wondering what else happened (or not...but if you're reading this, I figure that you might be interested! :-)).

Anyway, we successfully completed the "Raid Day" ceremonies which were put on by the Columbus Historical Society on March 9 and made arrangements for the State cermonies that were scheduled for March 10 at the Park (entitled "Camp Furlong Day").

While I had been a bit concerned about a horse rental, things began to work out better than I had ever expected. Early Friday morning while we were eating breakfast, one of the museum volunteers had asked our group if anyone planned on riding in the parade scheduled for March 10. I indicated that I was planning on renting a horse (a trail ride operator was going to bring four horses down from Silver City for rent). The lady then asked me if I'd be willing to ride her Tennessee Walker gelding named "Pablo". The lady further explained that he's a good horse and that he doesn't get out a lot but he's good around other horses and in parades. She also mentioned that Pablo was a rescue horse and when she first got him, he was grossly underweight and "all skin and bones".

I was a bit nervious but without hesitation, I agreed. So early Friday morning, the lady drove me out to her place which was located about three or four miles north on the Columbus-Deming Road (now New Mexico State Highway 11). We tacked up Pablo after a short period of having to chase him around the pen- "Oh boy", I thought..."This is going to be a FUN day!"

After tacking up Pablo, I got on him- he was probably somewhere in the 14.2 - 14.3 hands range and definately smaller than Max. However, he was well-muscled so I didn't feel so bad (I'm, 6'1" and weight about 230 pounds). After assuring myself that Pablo wasn't going to buck me off and that he understood simple commands like "whoa!", we departed for town.

The morning had started cold but as I rode back into town, it began to warm up quite considerably. After getting back to the Park, I hung around to await developments. I didn't have to wait too long before one of the Park maintenance guys calls out to me "the riders are going to meet the riders from Mexico down at the border!" I spurred Pablo on and soon we were going at a nice "Walker" pace down the road towards Palomas. The only thing I had to watch out for was all the discarded bottles, cans, and other trash that motorist have tossed out of their cars (isn't it just grand?).

I have to say, I had never experienced a Tenessee Walker before but Pablo made me a believer! Although he was relatively unschooled, he did have it together enough to give a nice pacing walk, a very "floaty" trot, and an incredible canter. Jeeze, if I was able to work with this horse for a few months, there's no telling what this guy could do. We only had a couple of episodes where Pablo tested me- he definately wasn't used to being worked and I seriously doubt if he'd been asked to canter in a long time.

I managed to meet up with the Mexicans about a mile north of the border and I rode alongside their "Pancho Villa" (I remembered him from last year and had witnessed him give a long, empassioned and drunken speech in Spanish the night before at a party we'd gone to in Palomas). We rode towards Columbus shouting "Viva Villa" and waiving at everyone. It definately felt a bit strange since I was portraying an American enlisted soldier...(the whole thing was sort of billed as a "reconciliation" and improving relations sort of a thing but there's definately some hard feelings that still remain).

By the time we hit town, things were in full swing and the weather was definately cooperating (a relief, compared to last year!). The procession made a circuit around the town and we then headed on into the Park.

During this whole time, Pablo was the perfect gentlemen (although I declined an invitation to take a position between the two riders carrying the US and Mexican flags- why tempt fate?) although it was evident that a Tennessee Walker walks a lot faster than a lot of other horses- I had to hold him back which necessitated the use of a combination of breath control and gentle half-halts. Fortunately, that was enough for Pablo and things were kept in check- thank god for that dressage training!



Pablo and I On Duty - Pablo wasn't too happy about having to work and was giving the evil eye...

The riders all gathered on the West side of Cootes Hill where there were a couple of corrals with water and alfalfa for the horses. After watering and feeding Pablo, I rode him around and basically did the "meet and greet" thing. The one unfortuante thing was that the saddle and tack were completely wrong- earlier, Pablo's Mom had tried to contact another gentlemen by the name of RL Curtin who has a shed full of 1904 McClellan saddles and tack (we'd met him last year) to see if she could borrow one but was unable to make contact. Oh well! At least I had a horse!!

I pretty much spent the day riding and resting Pablo and I was actually able to school him pretty well- he wasn't bad but definately needed some polishing (plus schooling on halting when verbally directed to do so). It was a very pleasant surprise because it could have been the direct opposite- the horse from hell who won't do anything.

By about 3 PM, we'd had enough (I'd been at this since about 8 AM) so I took Pablo home by the scenic route. On the way home, I purposely rode all around the area where the major events of the raid had taken place. Probably the first time anyone in uniform had ridden through town in at least 60 years or so (maybe).

Personally, I believe that there's no better way to get a "feel" for the country, wherever you go, than by riding around it on horseback. Cars are just too fast and hiking is too slow plus you simply don't get the visual perspective. What was also nice was that because I wasn't renting a horse, I could ride around on my own (usually rental string operators aren't too keen on you going out on your own- liability and all that!) and really take my time. For me, this was probably the best part about being in Columbus although by 3 PM, the temperature was in the high 80s and the sun was beating down pretty fierce (welcome to New Mexico! Why do you think they call it a desert?).

I got back to the lady's place, untacked Pablo and gave him his reward- a handful of grain, a flake of alfalfa, and a nice big tub of water. The lady's husband then drove me back to the Park.

I rejoined my compadres and we pretty much hung out until sunset where we retired to the Pancho Villa Lounge for food and liquid refreshment (not too much liquid refreshment since we had to leave early the next day).

We finally left Columbus early Sunday morning (March 11) at about 8 AM after quickly packing up our camp. One of the last sights we saw on our way out of town was the cemetary where some of the raid victims were buried.

A side view of Pablo and I- Unfortunately, the saddle and tack were all wrong...

We finally arrived back in the LA area arount 9 PM that night. What an adventure!

I'll post some more stuff soon!

No comments: