Monday, March 5, 2007

The Stupid Stuff We Do To Our Horses...

Riding was excellent this weekend and for the most part Max was the picture of cooperation, even with the winds that kicked up on Sunday.

After the ride, as I was taking off his saddle, I noticed a postage stamp-sized spot on his right flank where my foot would be if mounted. Upon examiniation, I notices it was a bare spot where the hair had rubbed off and there was the beginning on a raw spot. Strange, I thought, it was a perfectly square spot and it's obviously been going on for awhile- funny I hadn't noticed it before (although it could be argued that his winter coat partially hid it and now that he's losing it, the spot was now more obvious).

After thinking about it, I concluded that it was a sput rub from my right spur. I use a pair of cheapie "Prince of Wales" model spurs that have a squared-off end so it's concievable that the square edge could rub. I also tend to grip tighter with the right foot and I do remember sometimes grinding Max's flank to urge him along.

So there it is- my idiocy by not controlling my feet better has caused an injury, albiet light, to my boy Max. I immediately put some iodine solution and some goop to keep the flies away. I also figured that it would be a good idea to immediately stop using the spurs and give Max some time to heal. I also decided to order a pair of spurs with rounded smooth ends so there's nothing to grab or rub against Max's flank.

Since I'll be out of town most of this week, it would be a good time to let this heal up. If I ride him tonight or tommorow, I won't use spurs and trust to training and my regular foot (backed up by the crop) to get the job done.

Boy, do I feel like an ass- it pays to keep close attention to what's going on with your hose. Gee, maybe one of the reasons he was being a bit pissy last week was partly due to this...maybe Max was trying to tell me something. I whisper to my horse but sometimes he shouts back- maybe I need to listen more. Lesson learned.

No comments: