Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Max Gets A Break...(or Dad's Out of Town)

Since I won't be in town, Max is going to get a bit of a break until next Monday, which isn't a bad thing considering he needs a rest plus the rub spot on his right flank will have a change to heal up without my foot rubbing there.

What's kind of neat is that for the past two nights I have ridden without spurs and for the most part, it appears to not have affected him in any way. The weather the past two nights has been warm and Max has been cooperative- he did everything he was told to do and seemed to enjoy cantering.

The training program of late has been to trot two to three laps around the track in each direction before asking for a canter. It warms up Max's legs and he seems to have an easier time of things. I've then done some arena work with transitions and even a counter-canter (something I learned from my trainer last Saturday).

The Counter-Canter is especially an interesting move- it's the latest I've learned in dressage and I was told that the purpose of it is a training/discipline aid towards getting the horse to pay attention to the rider.

The Counter-Canter involves riding across the diagonal and then holding the lead instead of switching leads (i.e., maintaining a lead opposite to the direction of travel- left lead while cantering right or vice versa). Basically, you're turning on the wrong lead and to keep balance and not put a strain on the horse, you have to do as wide a turn as possible and to not wait until you're deep in the corner. I suppose the purests will probably laugh at my description here- it's easier to show pictures or just do than describe it.

I sucessfully did a few in my trainer's arena and practiced a few over the last couple of nights. Neither Max or I will ever be a dressage competitor but dressage has really helped my riding skills and Max seems to benefit.

No comments: