Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Off to Columbus

Well, I'm off to Columbus, New Mexico. I'll be leaving right after work and hooking up with my compadres. We'll be driving through the night and I expect we'll roll into Pancho Villa State Park sometime around noon tommorow.

In a neat piece of news, the Park has arranged for horse rentals so it looks like I'm covered in this department. Cool!!! Now hopefully, the horse won't be too bad for a rental horse- they can be a real handful when they're being made to do something that isn't "normal" (i.e. nose-to-tail in a string with rental riders who haven't a clue about riding so the horse do "whatever").

I've done a bit of background reading (but didn't get too far, unfortunately)- one interesting book is called The Jaguar and the Generala: A True Story of Revolution and Revenge by Eileen Welsome. It's interesting reading and appears to be well researched and the author is a journalist/non-historian (not necessarily a bad thing). It's not too kind to Villa and portrays him as a bit of a military incompentent who succeeded in getting many of his men killed in hopeless frontal assaults (sounds like the Western Front, doesn't it?).

This is definately going to be interesting.

Post Script:

I've just found out that Pancho Villa State Park has engaged an outfitter to bring in horses for rental and there will be a three-mile trail ride included. I've also been informed that besides the Villistas, there will also be Apache scouts. This is getting better and better!!!

No comments: