Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Getty Villa - J. Paul Getty Museum

If you're into Classical antiquities and Rome like I am, you might be interested in the The Getty Villa. The Getty Villa is part of the J. Paul Getty Museum and is located in Pacific Pakisades right next to the Pacific Ocean. The museum structure is based on a recreation of the Roman Villa of the Papyri at Herculaneum, as well as incorporating details from several other ancient sites.

The Getty Villa was originally opened in 1974 and was closed in 1997 for renovation. After a long wait, it was reopened on January 28, 2006 (took long enough!!). I've been here on many occassions, both pre- and post-renovation and it's an excellent cultural resource. If I had to choose a house, the Getty Villa is pretty close to what I would want (but it would have to have a stable for Max!).

Here are a few pictures:

The central courtyard looking towards the museum itself:

The new entrance:

My idea of the perfect hourse- I especially love this view (I wish I had a pool like it!):

For more information, click HERE and for the official website, click HERE.

P.S. The restaurant serves an excellent lunch and the dining area has a view of the ocean. Average cost was $12 a head with a priceless view. I don't know of any other restaurant that can offer anything as good for the money! I highly recommended just for this alone (although the exhibitions are excellent, of course! :-)). Beware though, it's a real pain getting tickets (there's limited parking available).

No comments: