Friday, June 1, 2007

Max Again...(sigh)

After studying for a civil service exam for the past three days (and giving Max some time off), I finally had enough and decided to get out to the stables last night.

Everything seemed to go well until a went to get Max into a trot- he completely refused and then tried to turn around. I quickly whacked him on the hindquarters with a crop and turned him around. He then tried it a second time and I whacked him again and he then complied.

He also tried to pull the same stunt going into the canter. What is up?

I figure that perhaps it's the arthritis again. I just got the new joint supplement but I haven't been able to feed it to him yet so perhaps we need to build up the levels there. Also, if this doesn't work, I'll have to call the vet out again and have her give him an injection of Adequan.

In the meantime, I need to work with Max so he doesn't get in the habit of thinking he can refuse to work. There's no obvious signs of lameness at this point so it's a bit of a mystery.

Once I get the joint supplement (I'm giving him Hylasport), going, we'll see. That seemed to work the last time.

Once I got Max going, he was pretty good and did everything I wanted. I'll have to monitor the situation...

No comments: