Monday, September 17, 2007

A New Saddle for Max!!!

For some time now, I've been searching for a suitable trail saddle for Max that wouldn't break the bank and would provide support for his back and not mess him up. Well, I think I found it...

I was originally considering getting a new 1904 McClellan saddle but reality then reared it's ugly head and I had to ask myself the basic question: What sort of riding am I doing?

The answer- mostly trail riding for long periods, sometimes up to six hours at a time. When was the last time I did something historical with Max? 2004- basically never. So I decided to put my money in a saddle that use almost everyday.

As luck would have it, Broken Horn (aka Broken Wallet) was having its annual sale and so on Saturday I decided to go down and get some odds and ends. I also decided to check out the saddles.

I saw a variety of saddles that would work, but they were basically $1300 and up. My budget was about $900. I was about ready to leave when I spied a used Circle Y Western saddle sitting on the rack for $895. Something told me "check it out!" and I figured, "why not?". It turns out that it was one of their older trail models and it looked like it had barely been used. Better, it had a 17 inch seat and fit me perfectly.

But would it fit Max?

I bought the saddle anyway (Broken Horn has a seven-day grace period so I could return it and get a refund so long as it was in the condition it left the store). I couldn't wait to check it out so I drove back to the stable (it was about 5 pm) and put it on Max- so far it looked good. I then rigged it up with the proper cinch (what a pain- not easy, like English saddles!) and tacked up Max. I also used a 1-inch grey wool felt pad.

I rode Max around for awhile and then went over to my trainer's place to have her check it out. My trainer's initial impression was positive and she suggested that I take my Sunday lesson in the saddle and we'd check out the sweat pattern afterwards.

The next day, I took my lesson- it was pretty humourous doing dressage in a Western saddle but we're a pretty good-natured bunch and everything went fine. It's a bit weird getting used to so much saddle between me and the horse. After the lesson (including the lesson, I'd been riding for about two hours doing a mix of cantering, trotting and everything in between), I pulled off the saddle and the sweat pattern looked good.

Overall, the saddle is a heavy one- full leather and from what I was told at Broken Horn, a lady had just traded it in that day and the reason she was doing so was because she had arthritis and was unable to left the saddle (it's probably a good 50 pounds). The construction is rugged and it looks almost brand new. The total price? $871 with tax! Basically, I got a saddle that normally goes for about $1600 new for almost half-price (according to the Cicle Y representative).

This saddle is definately comfortable and I'm looking forward to doing a lot more trail riding now, especially since it will be a better fit for Max's back than the English saddle I've been using for trail riding.

Now to get used to it some more! For more information, click on the logo below:


No comments: