Saturday, October 20, 2007

Back In The Saddle!

Well, today was the big moment of truth- was Max healed up enough so I could ride him without inflicting further injury?

I tacked up with my English saddle (it's a Thorowgood), making sure that the girth was snug and proceeded to warm Max up with some basic exercises. I next started mixing in some trotting, working up to cantering, first with the right lead (his better lead) and then the left lead. Finally, I also worked in some leg yields. My plan was to ride him for about an hour and then check his back.

After about 45 minutes, I checked Max's back and everything looked fine. There's still the bare spot but it looks like it's filling in with hair and there doesn't appear to be any direct rubbing. I then rode max for about another hour and a half- a little cantering but mostly walking and trotting. Once again I checked Max and his back was stil fine.

I'm not going to do any long-duration riding for awhile so I can build up his back. Also, I'm slowly going to start conditioning him again. His time off does not seem to have affected him in any way and he was the same horse he's always been- he knew all the moves perfectly and it's like we never stopped. Thank god! Maybe all the groundwork I've been doing for the part three weeks has helped out...

Things are looking good!

No comments: