Saturday, December 8, 2007

A Cold Day

Well, as they say, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it! Saturday was cool, somewhat breezy and just a touch cloudy- in short, an excellent day to go riding! Max and I did our usual circuit abound Hansen Dam followed up by some practive drills in the Orcas Arena.

Later, I was joined by my wife and we went out again only this time she was on Max and I was riding Kisses. We rode down the wash, just past up to the river before turning back, Kisses was all buzzed up because of the wind and cool temperatures (even after lunging her) and she was a real case on the way back- she just wanted to take off running for the stable. I was able to keep things under control but it was a real trial.

Well, as luck would have it, I was then able to ride Blue, a 16-hand Standardbred (although you'd never know it from his disposition) with a good disposition and laid-back attitude. Sometimes a bit TOO laid back but he's a good boy even if he's lazy. I rode him around the track before leaving the stable and once I got him into a canter, it was very smooth and powerful. My wife and I then headed out again for a much longer, and calmer trail ride. Max was definately ready for his bucket when we were done- it was quite a workout for him that day.

Here's a picture of Max and I at the end of the day:


No comments: