Tuesday, April 8, 2008

In Flander's Fields



Here's another interesting WWI game: In Flander's Fields. Designed by Kerry Anderson and originally published by Moments in History/Ciritical Hit in 1999, this game recreates the First Battle of Ypres in 1915 which saw the first use of poison gas (by the Germans) in WWI.

I originally posted these comments in Consimworld.talk but I thought I'd put them up here:

This game has excellent solitare playability and an innovative combat system. My only beef is that it is a bit complex. but given the scale of the game, everything seems to balance out and the combat procedure worked out allright. Definately a good simulation of the shock of using poison gas for the first time and like the historic battle, the Germans are faced with the problem of exploiting a success that they did not quite expect or were prepared to deal with.

Once the Germans crack the Allied front line positions, things get relatively mobile and their artillery is able to blow away anything that gets in the way. Of course, this is only my experience. I recently replayed the game and it still works pretty well. As the Germans, I even managed to secure a breakthrough off of the west edge of the map (chewed up the Belgians, French, and Canadians pretty bad)- I don't think I'll be able to repeat that again but it's still a fun game. Definately worth the money, IMHO.


I'm going to dig this one up again and give it a play.

1 comment:

Adam Lid said...

Thanks! Unfortunately my German is pretty bad (despite having been stationed there courtesy of Uncle Sam in the 1980s) but I'll check your blog out. Danke!