Monday, April 7, 2008

The Weekend

In contrast with last weekend, this one was relatively light for Max and I. On Saturday, a friend and I rode out around Hansen Dam Lake. The only incident was while we were proceeding down the trail, we came upon two riders coming our way. As customary, we stopped to let them by (the other two weren't really paying attention to what was going on). For some reason, one of the oncoming horses became spooked (it was a wide trail with good visibility) and proceeded to rear up and back into the horse behind it, which in turn got the other horse upset.

Max stared at this unfolding drama for about 30 seconds and then decided "I'm out of here" and spun around and began to move away. I quickly spun him around again and then walked him back down the trail for about 20 feet and turned around (it was a bare spot that would have enough room to keep out of the way of the spooking horses and give me room to manuever if I had to).

We eventually would up at the usual public arena and we ran our horses a bit. Max got a bit too fresh and tried to buck but I put a quick end to that. He also was happy to run and he really began to dig the forend into the ground. It's a wierd feeling but his body attitude totally changes when he's excited. I then ran him around for a few laps to settle his mind and soon he was a bit more responsive.

Max and his trail buddy quickly recovered but it definately woke him up and he was a lot more energenic about walking down the trail after that. Overall, it was pretty relaxing except for the one piece of drama and even that wasn't much to worry about.

Sunday was our usual lesson and we worked on the usual things, mostly focusing on hands/reinwork and legs. I didn't put a lot of saddle time but I think we spend it profitably in training. The training is good for Max and I because it's really help make me a better rider and it's made a better horse out of Max.

No comments: