Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Monday Night Max

Last night I decided to work Max and practice some of the things I have been learning from my trainer. As usual, Max was a bit sluggish at first ("Huh? You want me to do WHAT? Work?") but with a bit of urging, Max began to fire up. For a little variety, I decided to start Max on the track and then moved to the trails leading up and down the wash. I used a combination of trotting and cantering, keeping Max on the move. I then returned to the track, working on trot/canter transitions.

Finally, as it became dark, we went into the arena and worked some more on walk/trot/canter transitions. By this time, Max was pretty energenic and was completely responsive to my cues. I also practiced riding without stirrups and even did some exercises with the reins where I'd ride at a canter and alternate leaning far back and far forward, while maintaining balance and not putting any pressure on Max's mouth. Sort of high-speed stretching exercises. The whole idea is to also maintain the horse's canter while changing body position. Overall, it was pretty successful but it's a bit more difficult to do while cantering to the left.

I concluded by neck reining, making various tight turns and spins by using my legs and keeping almost no tension on the reins. The other thing I worked on is transferring my weight to the calves rather than the stirrups. This ensures a more secure seat and provides some relief for the horse's back. The downside is that this requires a bit of building up the calve muscles more- kind of an extended totting without stirrups. It's tough but worth it in the end.

No comments: