Friday, February 20, 2009

Columbus, New Mexico

Some not-so-good news about my favorite town, Columbus New Mexico. Unfortuantely, the drug wars in Northern Mexico have spilled over to a degree into New Mexico and Columbus in particular and I was disheartened to read about it in the LA Times. The full article is available HERE.

Very sad. In 2006-2007, I had the opportunity to meet and party with many of the local residents when we came out for the "Pancho Villa Days" commemorative celebrations (for more about my adventures, go here). This also included going accross the border to Palomas to a party put on by the Cabalgata organizers, courtesy of Eddie Espinoza and his wife- excellent hosts and we learned alot about what was going on there.

Me and my compadres were planning on going out this year but it looks like it's not going to happen due to financial pressures, work schedules, and life in general. Then to read this, it really makes it sad. To this day, I'll never forget riding Pablo, a Tennesse Walker, around Columbus on a bright warm day. It could have been 1916, things were that deserted.

With what's going on now, it's probably best to give it a miss this year. Besides, what Max didn't eat of my money, the IRS got. :-(

Here's some pictures from the LA Times:








The Mayor, Eddie Espinoza- great guy.


No comments: