Saturday, February 7, 2009

Wet and Rainy

In contrast to what's been happening weather-wise for the past month or so, the weather has now turned cooler and more importantly, rainy- which is more the January norm than the 80-plus degree days with Santa Ana winds.

For me and Max, it's been interesting. I was unable to work Max at all last week due to rain storms and life in general so when I got the stables early Saturday morning, he was a bit more lively than usual. Normally, Max doesn't go crazy if he sits in a stall for a few days but with the weather change starting last week, I guess things were a bit out of the norm: real hot to real rainy.

Naturally Max was a complete mess, wet and muddy from head to hoof (nobody put a rain sheet on him and he's a tough guy anyway). Grooming was a real joy, especially since he'd started shedding the week before (I really HATE abrupt weather changes). To make it worse, I'd turned Max out to run around in the arena where he promptly rolled on his back just to reinforce the mud bath. Naturally, he then proceeded to run around the arena- good deal, work it all out while I get the saddle and tack ready.

After a 10 minute demonstration of bucking, snorting and farting, I proceeded to groom the boy and that alone took about 30 minutes trying to get as much mud off as possible. Finally, he was all taked up and half-way presentable so I proceeded down the street to my friend's house where we were to meet up and do our cavalry/drill team practice. After arriving there and pausing for about a half hour, we proceeded down the street towards the arena at Gabriellano Park. Usually Max is a bit of a slug heading out but today he was buzzed up and my friend's Arabians didn't help any- I really should have taken some time to run him a bit to work off the energy. Oh well, live and learn.

By this time, the weather was actually clearing a little so it wasn't threatening to rain (much). What was really interesting walking Max down Orcas Avenue was that at one point a car literally snuck up on us and the first notice I got was when Max started scooting forward and raising his head. While it was a regular car, I thought to myself that safety is really going to be an issue here if more people start driving electric cars since there's no engine noise or anything. Talk about getting the blood pumping!

We finally got to the arena and proceeded to warm up. The arena was a bit swampy, kind of like a beach, but the footing was fine. We then worked out for about an hour or so and once Max was working with the herd, he settled down a bit and did his job. We didn't have much of a turn-out for practice and there were only five of us so we ended the practice sooner than normal.

Afterwards, Max and I headed home and he was definately up for that. Just to make it clear to Max that life doesn't always work out HIS way, I then worked him some when we got back to the stables- mostly cantering, transitions and the like. He was a bit sluggish at this point (no surprise there!) and I believe that the mud probably was exhasuting him (it wasn't deep or anything but it definately softer than usual). After a vigorous workout, I then cooled him down and gave him a break. Naturally he was all alert when I got his bucket ready!

Horses are a lot like kids it seems- 1200 pound kids, but kind nonetheless. :-)

No comments: