Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday Night at the Stables

As much as I'd rather have stayed home, nice and cozy, I decided that I had to check up on Max, especially given the on and off again showers. I even heard from one source that it had even hailed out in the Northeast Valley.

I figured that it would be too wet to ride so I wore my muck boots and dressed warmly...and it was a good thing. Not only was it cold, damp, and chilly, there was also a moderate breeze blowing. It was almost completely clear and a full moon was out. I wasn't in any mood to ride nad the ground was just too swampy (yes, I could do it but why?).

Naturally, Max was completely covered in mud, both dried and wet but otherwise was doing just fine. His only reaction was his usual "so where's my treats?" Typical horse!

I basically turned him out into the main arena and chased him around a bit to get him started- he was definately energenic and it didn't take much before he was running around the arena and bucking and snorting (and farting). What a boy.

I took this time to muck out what I could in Max's stall- it's basically a swamp in there so I'll have to wait until things dry out a bit before I can work on the stall- looks like I'll have to get shavings and dry stall but I want to be sure the rain is over for awhile before going through the expense of buying them.

I decided to blanket Max since there was a bit of a windchill goign on and so he would be able to lie down on something other than mud. Finally I mixed up his usual bucket (which he enjoyed, of course).

Not much going on but during the winter you're at the mercy of the weather and the short days don't help (although they're getting longer).

Hopefully things will be a bit more dry tommorow.

No comments: