Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Max & I Return to Anza!

Last weekend, Max and I returned to Anza for another Napoleonic battle reenactment. Although I had plans to have a more proper Napoleonic uniform by this years' event, it didn't happen (life got in the way) so once again I donned my generic Spanish Guerilla outfit, which in reality is a modified Southwestern outfit that could pass for anywhere between 1840-1900 (depending on the guns and other equipments).

I trailered Max out early Friday morning so I would have time to set up my camp and be able to saddle up and work Max some. The trip out wasn't too bad except for the usual traffic around the 71/91 Freeways around Corona and we made it down in about three hours. Unlike last year, the weather was clear and sunny with a cool breeze. Apparently, it had snowed the previous week and the weather was unseasonably cold- at night it got down into the 20s and the water in the horses' water buckets actually froze. During the day, it was heavenly!
Here's a couple of pictures from the event:


Here I am guarding the flank of my compadres. We were a mis-mash of uniforms and because of the imbalance between the British and French forces, I acted as one of the French (Spanish Contra-Guerillas).


Group shot after one of the battles. Here we're moving back towards our camp area so we can water the horses. As you can see from the sand, the footing in the wash and many other areas was a lot softer than last year and we had to exercise some caution in riding- bowed tendons are not good! More to follow!

No comments: