Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lenny the Ex-Show Horse

With the raw spot on Max's back, I've been riding a lot of other horses at the barn. One of these horses is Lenny who is a warmblood. He used to be a show horse in hunter/jumpers and his show career ended when he developed problems with his stifle joints. Nevertheless, he's still a great horse with a lot of good moves.

The one interesting thing about Lenny is that he has an incredibly springy step (than I'm used to anyway) and I really have to work hard to keep a good seat (as opposed to simply staying on the horse). He's very well trained but I'm still learning where all his "buttons" are. We worked for about an hour today, mostly working at a combination of walk/trot/canter and all the transitions. I also did some leg-yields and side passes. Most of the time he's getting it although sometimes it can be a bit choppy transitioning from the canter to the trot.

Also, I even took him into the wash to check things out. He's mostly been an arena horse all his life so the wide open spaces made him a bit nervous. He was also very unsure about the stream running down the wash- I didn't push him to cross it but I did a number of circles to try and make him more comfortable with it. It will take some time but I think we can get there.

A very interesting and challenging horse. :-)


No comments: