Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Phil- My Training Horse at Pierce College

Here are a couple of pictures of Phil, the school horse I'm using for both my Advanced Training and Intermediate Riding classes. Phil, along with the rest of the school herd, will be heading up to a pack station in the Sierras in May to begin their summer jobs as riding horses for pack trips. Phil gained a lot of weight over the Winter and no doubt he'll be losing a lot of it during the Summer.

Phil can be a pretty stubborn horse and his mough is pretty hard due to all the various students and others pulling on his mouth. In the year that I've been riding him, I've managed to get a little bit of his mouth back and he now knows that when I apply leg pressure for a leg yield or sidepass, it doesn't mean speed up...most of the time. :-) Compared to Max, Phil is HUGE and his training is not as extensive but he does have a good personality and he tries- he could easily be Max's bigger brother.


No comments: