Friday, May 14, 2010

Volcanos and Horses

With the recent volcanic activity in Iceland, here's a chance to combine horses and volcanos...the ash has been playing havic with the respiratory systems for both animal and man. I know the feeling...

Horses graze in a field near the Eyjafjallajokull volcano as it continues to billow dark smoke and ash during an eruption late on April 17, 2010. (HALLDOR KOLBEINS/AFP/Getty Images)


Ingi Sveinbjoernsso leads his horses on a road covered volcanic ash back to his barn in Yzta-baeli, Iceland on April 18, 2010. They come galloping out of the volcanic storm, hooves muffled in the ash, manes flying. 24 hours earlier he had lost the shaggy Icelandic horses in an ash cloud that turned day into night, blanketing the landscape in sticky gray mud. (HALLDOR KOLBEINS/AFP/Getty Images)

4 comments:

jme said...

as spectacular as those images are, it must be a nightmare to live with for horse and human alike! as a manager, i stress when the weather is a bit dry and we have dust in some of the paddocks - i'd probably lose my mind if the whole place was covered in volcanic ash :-\ i hope there aren't any serious long-term effects...

Adam Lid said...

Me too-

It was pretty rough out where I am with the fires last year- the ash was pretty fierce. Needless to say, I didn't work my horse.

Volcanic ash is another matter...

jme said...

wow, i can't even imagine the fires! that must have been a nightmare :-\

Adam Lid said...

Definitely was scary- we had to evacuate the horses from where I board my horse- 32 in all. I learned a lot about loading horses into trailers that day! :-)

Thank god it didn't actually hit our place (although it came close). After the fire, I rode up close to some of the burnt out areas- it looked like a war zone.