Monday, March 24, 2008

Max is Back Under Saddle Again

This last weekend I decided to work Max a bit more extensively and get is stamina built up while avoiding most of the rocky areas. The first thing we did was do our weekly lesson and while he was a bit sluggish in the beginning, after a "discussion" his energy level picked up and he was moving like champ (true, it was a warm day in the 90s but he tends to get lazy). We learned quite a bit but I'm going to have to put more work into keeping my hands and arms quiet. New homework...

Afterwards, for something different, on Saturday I decided to start at Gabriellano Park by walking him down Orcas Avenue. Previously, I've avoided walking him down most streets (more a confidence thing on my part that anything else) but I decided that now was the time to get him used to it. Everything seemed to work out just fine except it was a bit eager to cross Foothill Blvd. I don't think Max realizes that cars CAN hurt him. But it wasn't a big deal, he minded my commands and waited. We then proceeded through the park and then followed one of our usual paths that leads across the river and travels in a loop, ultimately winding up in re-crossing the river and heading home. I kind of let Max take it a bit easy after the lesson here.

Sunday, I decided to take him around the Hansen Dam Lake and then along the dam wall, ultimately winding up by the eastern end. We did a little exploring, wandering down to the tunnel that runs under Wentworth. We then rode back accross the river and ultimately wound up by the Orcas Arena in Gabriellano Park. During this whole ride, I alternated cantering, trotting, and walking Max and while he worked up a sweat, I gave him plenty of chances to rest.

The park was a real zoo with people doing all sorts of stupid things so we didn't linger long. The final straw was while working Max in the arena, someone decided to ride in with a horse they were ponying and then release it. Just what I need, a loose hose running around. Fortunately, the horse was more interested in standing and sniffing the ground than running around or chasing Max. Max and I quickly departed.

We then returned home by riding up Orcas Ave. and except for some barking dogs, Max had not issues. All in all, it was an excellent weekend and Max did not appear to have any issues whatsoever. Looks like we're on our way again!

No comments: