Sunday, March 9, 2008

Middle East Battles


I've been playing solitaire the Suez '56 game quite a bit lately and I've discovered, no surprise, that the Anglo-French have no chance of winning with the historical scenario. The 18 Victory Point advantage that the Egyptian player starts with is impossible to overcome, especially with the Egyptians racking up VPs for occupying the vicotry point hexes (it takes awhile to dig out the defenders).

I then decided to try out the variant with the extra Egyptian forces but no 18-point VP lead. It was a bloody fight but if done properly, the Anglo-French can come out ahead (the final score was Anglo-French 90 VPs, Egyptian 75 VPs) and that was also extending the game until Turn 9.

I found that once I was able to get the French artillery ashore, it was a lot easier to blow the Egyptians out of position. The ideal situation is for the Anglo-French units to advance into City hexes and force the Egyptians to counter-attack at a severe disadvantage (and sometimes killing them off in the process). It's an interesting situation.

I also tried out El Arish '67 and it struck me as a bit of a walk-over for the Israelis. The only problem is how to reduce the fortified areas- the combat results can be very bloody for the Israelis.

Subsequently, I replayed Suez '56 using the 8 VPs rather than the 18 and it worked out a lot better for the Anglo-French. However, with control being defined as having a unit sitting on the hex, it was almost impossible for the Egyptians to reinforce in the right places (i.e. cover objective hexes) so the Anglo-French had an easier time of it.

I also tried it again with the additional Egyptian reinforcements and that turned into more of a blood-bath for the Anglo-French. Lots of exchanges.

I realize that there's some flaws with the game but hey, I've been having fun with it. I'd like to see some more games with this and/or Cold War battles system.

No comments: